WOMEX, the annual gathering of the planet's global music pros, is about to happen in Copenhagen, Denmark. The WOMEXIMIZER compilation album gives the world a view into artists likely to tour worldwide in coming months and years. From the funk and rumba grooves of Kinshasa’s famous "disabled band" Staff Benda Bilili to the Chinagress revolution of Hanggai, the album has something for everyone; new sounds, old sounds, and everything in between. Border-crossers like Ahilea (Macedonia/Austria), Watcha Clan (France/Algeria), and Kayhan Kalhor & Brooklyn Rider (Iran/USA) sit alongside roots musicians like Parno Graszt (Hungary), Yves Lambert et le Bébert Orchestra (Canada), and Orchestra Popolare Italiana (Italy). No album like this would be complete without an Icelandic-Belgium collaboration (Mógil) or Gnawa desert rocker (Hasna el Becharia). Listen in to hear what music will emerge worldwide from WOMEX, the gathering of tribes and global vibes.
Music fans can stream full WOMEXIMIZER album on Womex.com
"The most important international professional market of world music of every kind. This international fair brings together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music and also includes concerts, conferences and documentary films. It contributes to networking as an effective means of promoting music and culture of all kinds across frontiers." --UNESCO Global Alliance for Cultural Diversity
"WOMEX, the biggest world music trade fair on the planet" --The Australian
"World music fans and professionals must etch one event permanently into their diaries: the WOMEX conference, exhibition and festival! […] It was my first time attending this world music expo in Sevilla, and I am totally addicted now! In addition to meeting hundreds of bookers, labels, cultural promotion agencies and musicians, the highlight is catching 45 [49!] bands from around the world live in concert." -- Madanmohan Rao, World Music Editor at Rave Magazine & RJ, India
WOMEX 08 Round-up
In 14 editions WOMEX has grown to…
- Over 2800 delegates and 1425 companies from more than 90 countries.
- Over 1000 concert and festival bookers, arguably the highest concentration of potential bookers in the same place at the same time anywhere on the planet.
- Over 750 labels, publishers and distributors.
- Over 850 managers and 450 producers.
- Over 310 national and international journalists, including 170 radio broadcasters.
- A bustling Trade Fair with 320 stands and over 650 exhibiting companies, including numerous umbrella stands of countries, regions, networks and other joint-venture structures.
- 49 Showcase acts with over 300 artists from 40 countries on 5 stages.
- Nearly 50 speakers in over two dozen Conference and Mentoring Sessions, Master Classes and the Daily News Forum.
- The festive Opening event, highlighting flamenco at its very best with concerts of Miguel Poveda and Ultra High Flamenco and a DJ set by Los Rumbers.
- The 10th annual WOMEX Award, this year honouring Hungary’s Muzsikás and Finland’s Sibelius Academy, Folk Music Department.
- The WOMEX Top Label Award in recognition of label excellence, compiled in association with the World Music Charts Europe, this year awarded to Cumbancha.
- The WOMEX World Music Film Market with 13 film screenings, in cooperation with the International Music + Media Centre IMZ, Vienna.
- Numerous Networking Meetings, Presentations, Artists Press Conferences and Receptions.
- The Radio WOMEX broadcasting studio for live interviews and performances, this year incooperation with NRK from Norway, NPS from The Netherlands and WDR from Germany.
- The WOMEX TV Studio in Trade Fair Hall 1, WOMEX TV & Webcast, in cooperation with Mondomix,France.
- virtualWOMEX – the professional future of world music online.
WOMEX 09 Copenhagen, October 28 – November 1
WOMEX is pleased to announce its next location – Copenhagen, Denmark, for a three-year residencefrom 2009 – 2011. After a total of four years in Sevilla, Spain, WOMEX heads north to this hospitable Scandinavian capital. WOMEX is partnering with key Danish players from the fields of music, events and tourism, all with extensive experience in both culture and production…www.womex.com/realwomex/news/copenhagen.html
Fourteen WOMEX editions have affirmed the value of networking across borders, be they musical, political,cultural or commercial. Since 1994 WOMEX has been travelling all across Europe from Berlin (1994), viaBrussels (1995), Marseille (1997), Stockholm (1998), Berlin (1999 + 2000), Rotterdam (2001), Essen (2002 +2004), Newcastle (2005) to Sevilla (2003 + 2006 – 2008).
"It was fabulous, meeting all Europe and everyone else in one place. I made over 70 contacts within threeexciting days and got lots of inspiration in musical, human and social regards." -- Sabine Schebrak, Cultureworks, Austria